- Click the Apple menu -> System Preferences.
- Click Printers & Scanners.
- Click the + button.
- Click the IP tab.
- In the Address field enter the printer’s fully qualified domain name (ex. dan204-hp456.eos.ncsu.edu or mann201-hp123.ce.ncsu.edu)
- Set the Protocol drop-down to Internet Printing Protocol – IPP.
- The Queue field can be left empty.
- In the Name field enter the printer’s hostname. (ex. dan204-hp4650dtn)
- In the Location field enter the room number and building name. (ex. 204 Daniels)
- If the printer driver is not auto-selected click on the Use drop-down -> Select Software… and select the appropriate driver, typically use a Universal Print Driver from the vendor.
- Click the Add button.
- Open Print & Fax in System Preferences.
- Click + to add a new printer.
- Control-click (or right-click) on the toolbar at the top of the window and select Customize Toolbar.
- Drag the Advanced icon to the toolbar and select Done.
- Click on the Advanced icon and be patient after a moment or two, you can select Windows from the Type drop-down-menu.
- Enter the SAMBA URL of the shared windows printer in the URL text field:smb://printserver/printername
- Fill out the fields Name and Location as you prefer. Under the Print Using field select the Select Printer Software option.
- Note: This will open another window. Select the model of the printer you wish to connect.
- Another window will appear with installation options. Simply select Continue to finish connecting to the printer.
- When printing the first time you will get prompted for your username and password. Fill in your windows printserver username (wolftech\unityID) and password and enable the Add this to your keychain checkbox.
Note: You will need the printer driver for that printer. You will have to look up the product name of the printer and search drivers for it and install it.