Wireless connections and computing
NC State boasts a high-speed, high-capacity gigabit Ethernet fiber optic data network infrastructure. All classrooms and residence halls are wired for high-speed Internet access. The growing campus wireless network can accommodate more than 23,000 simultaneous users, with Wi-Fi access available from 94% of classrooms, 100% of the libraries, the Talley Student Center, and many other locations indoors and outdoors on campus.
The technology-rich environment for students on campus also includes leading-edge learning spaces, such as the James B. Hunt Jr. Library on Centennial Campus, named “the library of the future” by Time magazine. At Hunt Library, you’ll find the Creativity Studio, a high-technology white-box room with projectors and moveable walls that can be configured to host simulations, installations and virtual environments. The iPeal Immersion Theater is Hunt Library’s touch-enabled display that features 21×7-foot video panels hosting a range of content.
The D.H. Hill Library on Main Campus features the lively and collaborative Learning Commons and Digital Media Lab, complete with audio production and video editing workstations. D.H. Hill Library also features a Virtual Reality Studiofor experimenting with and creating immersive content, and Makerspace which gives students and faculty access to emerging technologies like work 3D printing, 3D scanning and electronics prototyping.
All over campus, you’ll find technology enhanced classrooms, collaborative meeting spaces, and more than 100 computer labs. NC State’s award-winning Virtual Computing Lab provides remote “anywhere, anytime” access to high-end lab computers and software.
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) provides campus-wide data network, telecom, computing and information systems and services. Visit OIT Services For Students to find out what’s available you. Contact your college to learn about the additional IT resources they offer.
Below are some handy links to help you keep connected with technology at NC State:
- Need help with technology? Contact the NC State Help Desk or visit the Walk-in Center.
- Learn about your Unity ID (“username”) and passwords, created automatically for all NC State students. You’ll use yours to access Unity computing resources, labs, password-protected Web sites, the wireless network and many other university IT services.
- MyPack Portal is your gateway to online student services and records. Log in with your Unity ID to register for courses; check your grades, e-bills, financial aid status; update your directory information; and much more.
- Log in to the campus wireless network.
- Use the Virtual Computing Lab (VCL) for remote access to lab computers and software — any time and from anywhere with Internet access.
- Log in to your free student e-mail account at gmail.ncsu.edu. The university uses your firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail address for all official e-mail correspondence.
- Discover the Creativity Studio and iPeal Immersion Theater in the James B. Hunt Jr. Library.
- Visit the Learning Commons and Digital Media Lab in the D.H. Hill Library to use a wealth of new multimedia and collaborative technologies. D.H. Hill Library also features a Virtual Reality Studio and Makerspace.
- Shop the NC State Bookstores Computer Connections for computers and software at education-discount prices. Visit the Walk-in Center for repairs under warranty. Check out the current specifications for student-owned computers before you buy or bring a computer to campus.
- Distance Education offers more than 300 courses online as well as WebAssign and other Web-based systems to enhance learning.
- All Unity computer labs are open to you; college computer labs may be restricted to their students.
- ResNet provides high-speed Internet access to all students living in University Housing and Greek Court.
- Cable Television (WolfTV) is available for a fee in University Housing and Greek court.
- Sign up for emergency text messages. If there is a campus emergency, NC State will send an alert to your cell phone.